11.14.2006

Chicken Noodle Soup

I read that chicken noodle soup for colds isn't just an old wives's tale. The warm, salty fluid helps to loosen secretions and something in the soup has an anti-inflammatory effect that keeps production of mucous down. Yum.

So I decided to make some, since I get sick so much.

Did I mention that I don't like raw meat? This was a particularly traumatic experience for me because I had to butcher a whole chicken. When I took it out of the wrapper I saw that it had cute little legs... and cute little wings... and a cute little butt. I could just picture it running around the chicken coop with all of its cute little chicken friends. And I had to massacre it - not just cut it up but actually break its bones apart.

I had no idea where to cut - the recipe, of course, did not specify. And I had no idea if I should use all of the chicken or just certain parts. So I called my mom and she coached me. (What would the world do without moms?) She said it didn't matter where I broke it apart, all of the meat falls off of the bones in soups anyway. And every part of the chicken is fair 'game' (couldn't resist) - unless it's wrapped in paper, in which case it should be removed. There was no paper but I did run into an absolutely disgusting-looking sausage-like piece which I didn't want anywhere near anything I was going to eat - so I cut that off and threw it out.

Yuck, yuck, and yuck. Next time I am going to buy the chicken pieces already cut.

So despite all that, the soup turned out really well and was incredibly flavorful. I added a clove of garlic and lots of chili powder to the broth. Then I doubled the carrots, celery, and parsley. I will use 12 cups water water next time (not enough broth for me) and 1 teaspoon pepper.

For anyone who doesn't feel like tearing apart a raw chicken then picking the bones out of the meat, store-bought chicken noodle soup seems to have the same medicinal effects as homemade (but doesn't taste as good, I promise).

Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1 hour 40 minutes
Makes: 8 servings (10 1/2 cups)

Ingredients

  • 1 3-1/2- to 4-pound stewing chicken, cut up, or 2-1/2 pounds meaty chicken pieces
  • 8 cups water
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
  • 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
  • 1-1/2 cups dried egg noodles
  • 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

Directions

1. In a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven combine chicken, water, onion, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is very tender.

2. Remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones and skin. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from broth.

3. Bring broth to boiling. Stir in carrot and celery. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes. Stir in noodles. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes more or until noodles are tender but still firm. Stir in chicken and parsley; heat through.

No comments: