11.24.2006

Sweet Potatoes

Firstly, Happy Thanksgiving. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to stuff myself and stayed far away from the turkey until it was nicely carved and bearing no resemblance to any type of bird (as to avoid a traumatic experience akin to that of "Chicken Noodle Soup").

I made the sweet potatoes for our meal. I chose sweet potatoes because no one really likes them anyway - so I wouldn't be too stressed out if I messed them up. Blake's aunt made the most amazing sweet potatoes last year and I was hoping to replicate. Alas, mine were only average. I think the key is using grated ginger root - but you're supposed to use 6x as much fresh ginger as you would ground ginger. I might try more fresh ginger and less orange zest. They were a tad on the citrus-y side.

Stay tuned... I promise brilliance next Thanksgiving.

Source: lowfatcooking.about.com

INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • 1 tbs brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger

PREPARATION:

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and cook for 20-25 minutes until tender. Drain sweet potatoes; add orange juice, orange zest, brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Mash until smooth.

Serves 6.

Per Serving: Calories 180, Calories from Fat 4, Total Fat 0.4g (sat 0.1g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 21mg, Carbohydrate 41.3mg, Fiber 4.7g, Protein 2.7g

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I like sweet potatoes and I liked Anne's! But she's right, they could have been a touch sweeter.
- The Chef's Dad